WORDS: Scott Rawstorne from Global Paddler.
The Sea to Summit Access Deck Bag is for any “sit inside kayak” paddler who has ever wished they could have better access to important items like food, sunscreen, first aid kit, phone, GPS receiver, camera, spare batteries or maps when they are on the water. Some sit inside kayaks come with a day hatch behind the cockpit but you often need to be some kind of contortionist or yoga master to get the lid off, let alone grab whatever you need from inside. The situation becomes all the more difficult and sometimes even perilous when conditions are bumpy.
Some manufacturers have tried to solve this problem by adding a “glove box” hatch in front of the cockpit but space is limited in that area so it generally isn’t feasible to store many items. The obvious solution is to carry your essential gear on the deck in a manner which will keep it from getting wet or washed away. That’s where the Sea to Summit Access Deck Bag comes in.
The Access Deck Bag is a 15 litre roll top dry bag contained within a water repellent and abrasion resistant nylon container which is designed to hug your boat and keep its shape under pressure. The end closest to the paddler has a long zip that can be easily opened when required.
The Access Deck Bag has webbing straps with quick release buckles at each of the corners to enable it to be secured to deck lines. If you don’t have deck lines but you do have shock cord then you can attach the Access Deck Bag to your craft using the two long Velcro strips which are attached to its base.
The storage advantages of the Access Deck Bag are not limited to its interior. The exterior has a self draining pocket on either side, shock cord criss-crossed over the top and two attachment points at the front.
The Access Deck Bag now has a permanent place on my trip planning checklist. I feel confident in saying that once you have tried it, you will wonder how you ever did without it, and it will become an integral part of your expeditions too.
- Super strong abrasion resistant 420 denier nylon fabric.
- Stiffener inserted to maintain shape.
- Hypalon tabs at entry of bag.
- Curved water resistant zip.
- 70 denier removable dry bag with Hypalon roll top closure system.
- Two kayak attachment methods; Velcro strips on the base or quick release buckles on the sides.
- Super stretch shock cord on top for increased storage.
- Quick-find white TPU laminated fabric inside with 10,000 mm waterhead.
- Self draining mesh side pockets.
- Volume: 15 litres
- Dimensions: 38 cm long, 32 cm wide, 13 cm high
- Weight: 0.56 kg